Progress Rail Services Corp. Mechanic / Welder - Freight Car Repair in Charlestown, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3805BR
Posting Title: Mechanic / Welder - Freight Car Repair
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
To perform maintenance, repair and modification of rail cars according to FRA, AAR and customer requirements.
Key Job Elements
• Removal, fabrication, fitment and welding of railcar parts, components and structures;
• Repair or replace worn mechanical components;
• Fabricate, assemble or disassemble manufactured products;
• Inspect rails cars and troubleshoot mechanical issues;
• Read blueprints, technical drawings, tape measure;
• Read and understand work order and record repairs correctly;
• Understand service and repair manuals and apply constraints to repairs and modifications being performed;
• Use oxy/fuel torch, arc welding equipment and power tools;
• Apply decals, stenciling and touch-up painting on railcars.
Education / Training
• Prefer High School Education or GED.
Qualifications and Experience
• 3-6 months of mig welding experience, may accept welding/mechanics certificate from 2 year vocational school;
• Mechanical aptitude;
• Read precision instruments and gauges;
• Work from blueprints and technical drawings;
• Capable use of hand and power tools, including pneumatic tools, cutting torches and welding machines;
• Work around and operate overhead cranes and mobile equipment;
• Work from heights over 6’;
• Work on varied surfaces (concrete floors, gravel, rail car floors).
• Must be able to push, pull and lift up to 50 lbs.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities