Progress Rail Services Corp. Material Handler in East Chicago, Indiana
Auto req ID: 3701BR
Posting Title: Material Handler
Job Category: Manufacturing/Operations
City: East Chicago
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Will ensure all inbound and outbound shipments are accurate. Store, handle and load for shipment in accordance with Progress Rail, Quality Work Instructions and AAR (Association of American Railroads) requirements and specifications. Keep production operations supplied with correct material at all times to avoid production interruptions. Report any storage or preservation discrepancies to supervisor immediately. All Progress Rail employees must work safely at all times and report any unsafe conditions, accidents or near misses.
Key Job Elements
• Load and unload of wheels, axles, and bearings utilizing forklifts and loaders;
• Equipment preventative maintenance and corresponding reports to be completed on a daily basis;
• Fill out inbound and outbound forms;
• Maintain yard and material organized;
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education / Training
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred;
• Have the ability to solve practical problems;
• Some light industrial experience is preferred;
• Have proficient knowledge of AAR Interchange Rules as relates to operations of the position;
• Must pass a written test to exhibit knowledge of job assignment as necessary and be certified on the mobile equipment operation.
Qualifications and Experience
• 1 year of experience operating forklifts and loaders;
• Mechanical aptitude;
• Read and interpret documents, safety rules, maintenance instructions and procedural manuals;
• Use of tools such as air powered tools, Hydraulic powered tools and equipment, wrenches, hammers, pliers, and other basic hand tools;
• Occasional heavy moving and lifting;
• Will come in contact with all work environments of the operation to include weather conditions such as heat and cold, rain, snow and or humidity;
• All Progress Rail employees must work safely at all times.
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/life/disability insurance coverage and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities